David Marcus, the head of eBay's PayPal unit, is leaving the company for Facebook, where he'll lead mobile messaging products.
David Marcus, the head of eBay’s PayPal unit, is leaving the company for Facebook, where he’ll lead mobile messaging products.
EBay Inc. said Tuesday that Marcus is departing on June 27, three years after joining PayPal. Marcus says his role at PayPal was becoming too much of a management position and he preferred to focus on building products.
In a sign of its focus on mobile messaging, Facebook has agreed to buy the messaging app WhatsApp for $19 billion, a deal that has yet to close. But the company says Marcus will not oversee WhatsApp, which will be run independently. Rather, he’ll run Menlo Park, California-based Facebook’s own messaging products.
- As USS Ranger departs, Navy's cost dilemma takes off
- Seahawks courting a pair of cornerbacks as free agency looms
- UW tops new list of best western universities
- Seattle's micro-housing boom offers an affordable alternative
- A disturbing trend of drowning out opposition in King County
Most Read Stories
Facebook post from David Marcus: https://www.facebook.com/Davemarcus/posts/10154268140035195