Nokia plans to acquire Medio Systems, a Seattle-based predictive analytics company.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Nokia intends to use Medio’s technologies mainly for its Here navigation, mapping and location services.
Here’s mapping and location intelligence is one of three areas Nokia is now focusing on, following the sale of its handset business to Microsoft earlier this year.
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
The other two areas are network infrastructure; and technology patents and licensing.
Medio’s technologies are expected to help Here “create contextual maps and location services that change according to the situation to provide highly personalized and predictive experiences for people and businesses,” Nokia said in a news release. “That could mean delivering individual restaurant recommendations to someone ready for lunch, giving drivers routes that match their driving style based on real-time conditions or helping businesses personalize their customer offerings…. Predictive analytics are an essential component of the Here mission to provide the right map and services at the right moment across screens and operating systems.”
It’s all part of what Here CEO Michael Halbherr refers to as “cognitive mapping, in which maps will understand their environment and anticipate people’s intent in order to deliver interactive and smart location experiences.”
Medio, founded in 2004, is held by Accel Partners, Trilogy Equity Partners, Frazier Technology Ventures and Mohr Davidow Ventures. It has 70 employees and 6 offices worldwide, according to the company’s website.