A three-year, $80 million follow-on U.S. Navy contract for BAE Systems is good news for 57 employees at the Navy’s undersea warfare center in Keyport on the Kitsap Peninsula.
BAE, along with six local subcontractors, helps the Navy maintain the operational readiness of submarine torpedoes and other weapon systems at the center.
Last fall, BAE systems engineers and technical staff at the center received 60-day lay-off notices as the earlier contract expired.
Extensions to that existing contract staved off actual layoffs but the 60-day warning notices were renewed three times until the long-term follow-on contract was finally awarded.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- Marymoor Park concerts: Full lineup announced
- Capitol Hill light-rail station nearly ready for trains to rumble
- Nelson Cruz's home run in ninth inning lifts Mariners to sweep of Rays
Most Read Stories
The Navy sealed the deal last month. BAE announced the new contract Monday.
Dominic Gates: (206) 464-2963 or firstname.lastname@example.org