A three-year, $80 million follow-on U.S. Navy contract for BAE Systems is good news for 57 employees at the Navy’s undersea warfare center in Keyport on the Kitsap Peninsula.
BAE, along with six local subcontractors, helps the Navy maintain the operational readiness of submarine torpedoes and other weapon systems at the center.
Last fall, BAE systems engineers and technical staff at the center received 60-day lay-off notices as the earlier contract expired.
Extensions to that existing contract staved off actual layoffs but the 60-day warning notices were renewed three times until the long-term follow-on contract was finally awarded.
- Anonymous donor pays off landslide victim's $360K mortgage
- 'Hero' teacher tackles shooter at North Thurston High School
- Man arrested for carrying golf club sues city, Seattle cop
- Seattle-to-suburb commuters prefer urban lifestyle
- Jernard Jarreau leaving Washington
Most Read Stories
The Navy sealed the deal last month. BAE announced the new contract Monday.
Dominic Gates: (206) 464-2963 or firstname.lastname@example.org