ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Marriott International Inc. is planning a new $600 million headquarters in Maryland.
Marriott announced Tuesday that the new complex in Bethesda, a few miles from its current home, will have 700,000 square feet of office space for more than 3,500 employees. A Marriott-branded hotel will be built on the site with more than 200 rooms.
Marriott President and CEO Arne Sorenson says Marriott has been headquartered in Montgomery County, Maryland, for more than 60 years, and intends to stay close to its roots. The company reviewed options in Washington, D.C., as well as Virginia’s Arlington and Fairfax counties.
Marriott is considering several downtown Bethesda sites and expects to choose a final site in the first half of next year.
Most Read Stories
- I-5 reopened after semitruck crash, authorities warn of lingering delays in Seattle VIEW
- Taco truck, stuck in Seattle’s big I-5 closure, opens for lunch anyway
- Sound Transit uses inflated car values to collect higher tab fees
- Snow returns for Monday afternoon commute; lightning strikes Space Needle VIEW
- It’s official: You can’t take the Seahawks’ Richard Sherman seriously anymore | Matt Calkins
Marriott International has more than 5,700 properties in more than 110 countries.