ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Greece’s privatization fund says China’s Cosco Group is the only bidder for a majority stake in the port of Piraeus, which is the debt-mired country’s biggest.
Cosco already has a concession to operate two of three container terminals at Piraeus, the port of Athens. The privatization fund said Tuesday it has asked the company to submit an improved offer, which is expected to be evaluated next week.
It did not disclose the value of the existing offer.
Greece is selling a 67 percent stake in the port as part of its ambitious but slow-moving privatization drive, which is a key precondition for continued disbursement of international rescue loans.
Most Read Stories
- Bothell High teacher made up story of attack, police say
- Seahawks stadium chef John Howie apologizes, says transgender bathroom views were 'based on fear and not facts'
- Nine questions for the Seahawks as they take on the Dallas Cowboys Thursday night
- Seahawks 27, Cowboys 17: Complete coverage of Seattle's third NFL preseason game
- Convicted of assault and accused of rape, star player received raft of second chances VIEW