SAN FRANCISCO — Google is opening showrooms in six cities across the nation, promoting its latest products and stepping up retail efforts against Apple and Microsoft as the year-end holiday shopping season gets under way.
Called Winter Wonderlabs, the outlets feature products such as Nexus 7 tablets, Chromebook computers and Chromecast video-streaming devices, the company said on a new website.
Consumers can order the gadgets online after looking at the wares.
Redmond-based Microsoft has opened almost 50 stores after Apple found success with its retail outlets, where customers can purchase iPhones, iPads and Macs and also learn more about using the devices.
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Man drowns in Lake Washington after hopping off boat
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- Seahawks' decision shows faith in Brandon Mebane, and the team's Superstar Strategy
- Seahawks training camp impressions, Day Four --- Pass rush speed, Mohammed Seisay, the center spot, and more
Most Read Stories
Google is putting the showrooms at or near New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Calif., and Paramus, N.J.