SAN FRANCISCO — Google is opening showrooms in six cities across the nation, promoting its latest products and stepping up retail efforts against Apple and Microsoft as the year-end holiday shopping season gets under way.
Called Winter Wonderlabs, the outlets feature products such as Nexus 7 tablets, Chromebook computers and Chromecast video-streaming devices, the company said on a new website.
Consumers can order the gadgets online after looking at the wares.
Redmond-based Microsoft has opened almost 50 stores after Apple found success with its retail outlets, where customers can purchase iPhones, iPads and Macs and also learn more about using the devices.
- Nathan Hale High School juniors boycott state test
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- 100 drug arrests kick off new push against downtown crime
- Ditching Dreamliners: United buys older, cheaper planes
- Seahawks' toughness is not for everyone
Most Read Stories
Google is putting the showrooms at or near New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Calif., and Paramus, N.J.