SAN FRANCISCO — Google is opening showrooms in six cities across the nation, promoting its latest products and stepping up retail efforts against Apple and Microsoft as the year-end holiday shopping season gets under way.
Called Winter Wonderlabs, the outlets feature products such as Nexus 7 tablets, Chromebook computers and Chromecast video-streaming devices, the company said on a new website.
Consumers can order the gadgets online after looking at the wares.
Redmond-based Microsoft has opened almost 50 stores after Apple found success with its retail outlets, where customers can purchase iPhones, iPads and Macs and also learn more about using the devices.
- For UW, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- Bill Gates to commit billions for clean energy
- The story of one homeless girl, Brittany, who was failed time and again
- India draws tech dreamers back home
- Holiday and Independence Bowls are potential destinations for UW and WSU
Most Read Stories
Google is putting the showrooms at or near New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Calif., and Paramus, N.J.