DETROIT (AP) — Former Chrysler Chair John J. Riccardo has died. He was 91.
The Rev. John C. Riccardo says Monday that his father died Saturday.
The Detroit Free Press reports that John J. Riccardo joined the automaker in 1959 and rose to president by 1970. He was its chairman five years later.
He recruited Lee Iacocca to join Chrysler in 1978 as chief executive.
Most Read Stories
- FBI’s massive porn sting puts internet privacy in crossfire
- Help! Marriott charged $250 for smoking in my room — but I don’t smoke
- There’s a reason why ‘rebound’ body odor flares, fades | The People's Pharmacy
- Puget Sound ferry commuters’ world: coffee, beauty — and line cutters
- Seahawks' Michael Bennett on Colin Kaepernick: 'I support him and all the stuff he's doing'
Riccardo sought a federal government loan bailout for the struggling automaker that was approved by Congress after he stepped down in 1979 as chair.
Riccardo also is survived by his wife, Thelma; and four other adult children.
Visitation is scheduled from 3-8 p.m. Thursday at Lynch & Sons Funeral Home in Clawson. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Holy Name Parish in Birmingham.