DETROIT (AP) — Former Chrysler Chair John J. Riccardo has died. He was 91.
The Rev. John C. Riccardo says Monday that his father died Saturday.
The Detroit Free Press reports that John J. Riccardo joined the automaker in 1959 and rose to president by 1970. He was its chairman five years later.
He recruited Lee Iacocca to join Chrysler in 1978 as chief executive.
Most Read Stories
- Cascade Mall shooting: Mayor vows to 'bring the son of a bitch to justice' WATCH
- ‘My God, that’s Kimberly!’: Scientist solves perplexing mystery of identity thief Lori Ruff
- Why ‘whitesplaining’ is hurtful to people of color | Op-Ed
- Mariners suspend Steve Clevenger for remainder of season without pay after tweets on Black Lives Matter
- Mariners suspend Steve Clevenger after tweets on Black Lives Matter
Riccardo sought a federal government loan bailout for the struggling automaker that was approved by Congress after he stepped down in 1979 as chair.
Riccardo also is survived by his wife, Thelma; and four other adult children.
Visitation is scheduled from 3-8 p.m. Thursday at Lynch & Sons Funeral Home in Clawson. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Holy Name Parish in Birmingham.