AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — The Obama administration says it will challenge a federal court’s decision to block implementation of a regulation that would make an estimated 4 million more higher-earning workers eligible for overtime pay.
The U.S. Labor Department filed a notice of appeal Thursday, the same day the administration’s rule had been set to take effect nationwide.
Twenty-one states sued to block the rule, arguing it would unduly burden the public and private sectors.
Last week, a federal judge in Texas issued an injunction suspending it to allow for further scrutiny.
Most Read Stories
- Washington state will resist federal crackdown on legal weed, AG Ferguson says
- Cheating hubby needs to reset attitude toward ‘affair baby’ | Dear Carolyn
- ‘Big pool of blood’: Redmond man shoots cougar in research cage
- 5-year-old Kent girl re-creates iconic photos of notable black women for Black History Month VIEW
- T-Mobile one-ups Verizon’s new unlimited data plan; 4Q results top forecasts
The lead plaintiff is Nevada Attorney General Adam Laxalt, who’s a frequent critic of what he calls Obama administration overreach. Texas, which has sued the Obama administration nearly 50 times, is also a plaintiff.