Amazon.com will celebrate its 10th anniversary with a present to employees — an exclusive concert featuring Bob Dylan, Norah Jones...
Amazon.com will celebrate its 10th anniversary with a present to employees — an exclusive concert featuring Bob Dylan, Norah Jones and political satirist Bill Maher. The event will take place in Seattle’s Benaroya Hall on July 16.
No tickets will be sold to the public, but the company says it will be broadcast live on the Internet (Amazon.com/showofthanks), beginning at 5 p.m.
It’s not uncommon for high-profile artists, even one as closely associated with the counter-culture as Dylan, to appear at corporate events, according to Gary Bongiovanni of the concert trade magazine Pollstar.
“The stigma that used to be associated with these corporate gigs seems to be just about gone now,” he said.
Most Read Stories
- Scientists say recent quake swarm at Rainier doesn't signal impending eruption
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- FBI investigating off-duty work by Seattle police at construction sites, parking garages
- Is this Seattle bus stop the worst in America?
- Swastika-wearing man punched on Seattle street, removes swastika, police say
“The artist’s motivation for doing this is usually money. They pay extremely well. … (Dylan’s) doing casinos and all kinds of things now. Bob hasn’t been as selective in his choices as he would have been even 10 years ago, or as any artist would have been 10 years ago.”
Dylan is the top-selling living male recording artist on Amazon, and Jones is the top-selling female artist.
Dylan also is scheduled to appear July 30 at the Maryhill Winery in Goldendale. Tickets for that concert are available at Ticketmaster outlets beginning at 10 a.m. tomorrow.