Stocks are off to a mixed start as the market comes off its fifth straight week of gains.
Banks and technology companies were leading the gains early Monday, and several companies were moving on deal news.
Starwood Hotels jumped 4 percent after agreeing to a new offer to be acquired by Marriott International.
Valeant Pharmaceutical rose 1 percent after its CEO stepped down. Activist investor Bill Ackman will join the troubled company’s board.
Most Read Stories
- New dad, on way to see baby, shot dead after road-rage incident, family says
- Police think there might be more to road-rage killing of young dad in Federal Way
- DEA moves to ban kratom, frustrating both scientists and users
- Seattle proposes more density for some neighborhoods, releases maps
- Seahawks should sit Russell Wilson vs. Jets | Larry Stone
The Dow Jones industrial average edged down eight points, less than 0.1 percent, to 17,597 in the first few minutes of trading.
The Standard & Poor’s 500 index was down a fraction at 2,049 and the Nasdaq composite edged up three points to 4,799.