Stocks are off to a mixed start as the market comes off its fifth straight week of gains.
Banks and technology companies were leading the gains early Monday, and several companies were moving on deal news.
Starwood Hotels jumped 4 percent after agreeing to a new offer to be acquired by Marriott International.
Valeant Pharmaceutical rose 1 percent after its CEO stepped down. Activist investor Bill Ackman will join the troubled company’s board.
- Microsoft draws flak for pushing Windows 10 on PC users
- 3 dead, 1 wounded in Oregon shooting; suspect arrested
- This is how much more you’d have to pay for a home near light rail
- Did Lorenzo Romar, Brandon Roy and UW’s recruiting of the Porter brothers cross the line?
- Texas illegally curbs abortion clinics, Supreme Court rules
Most Read Stories
The Dow Jones industrial average edged down eight points, less than 0.1 percent, to 17,597 in the first few minutes of trading.
The Standard & Poor’s 500 index was down a fraction at 2,049 and the Nasdaq composite edged up three points to 4,799.