Stocks are off to a mixed start as the market comes off its fifth straight week of gains.
Banks and technology companies were leading the gains early Monday, and several companies were moving on deal news.
Starwood Hotels jumped 4 percent after agreeing to a new offer to be acquired by Marriott International.
Valeant Pharmaceutical rose 1 percent after its CEO stepped down. Activist investor Bill Ackman will join the troubled company’s board.
Most Read Stories
- There’s a reason why ‘rebound’ body odor flares, fades | The People's Pharmacy
- FBI’s massive porn sting puts internet privacy in crossfire
- Seahawks' Michael Bennett on Colin Kaepernick: 'I support him and all the stuff he's doing'
- High-tech images point to the valor of a sergeant left for dead
- Ex-Boeing CEO Stonecipher, wife, sue to keep dozen cats in 6,700-square-foot N.C. house
The Dow Jones industrial average edged down eight points, less than 0.1 percent, to 17,597 in the first few minutes of trading.
The Standard & Poor’s 500 index was down a fraction at 2,049 and the Nasdaq composite edged up three points to 4,799.