NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. stocks are opening modestly higher as the market recovers from a loss the day before.
Several companies were moving on earnings news early Tuesday.
Hertz jumped 10 percent after reporting earnings that were better than analysts were expecting. AutoZone rose 2 percent after its own results beat forecasts.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 71 points, or 0.4 percent, to 16,589.
- Seattle-area home prices surge to new high
- The sorrow of Steak ’n Shake VIEW
- Did Lorenzo Romar, Brandon Roy and UW’s recruiting of the Porter brothers cross the line?
- Microsoft draws flak for pushing Windows 10 on PC users
- Seahawks QB Trevone Boykin charged with assault after reportedly striking cop in December
Most Read Stories
The Standard & Poor’s 500 index gained 10 points, or 0.5 percent, to 1,942. The Nasdaq composite climbed 25 points, or 0.6 percent, to 4,583.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 1.73 percent.