NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. stocks are opening modestly higher as the market recovers from a loss the day before.
Several companies were moving on earnings news early Tuesday.
Hertz jumped 10 percent after reporting earnings that were better than analysts were expecting. AutoZone rose 2 percent after its own results beat forecasts.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 71 points, or 0.4 percent, to 16,589.
Most Read Stories
- Jury acquits leaders of Malheur wildlife-refuge standoff
- Watch: Shots reportedly fired, 141 arrested at Dakota Access Pipeline protests WATCH
- Suspicious? Gay groomsman only one left out of rehearsal dinner | Dear Carolyn
- Ex-Seahawk Marshawn Lynch is never far from teammates’ memories WATCH
- Group headed by Tim Leiweke interested in KeyArena renovation for NBA, NHL VIEW
The Standard & Poor’s 500 index gained 10 points, or 0.5 percent, to 1,942. The Nasdaq composite climbed 25 points, or 0.6 percent, to 4,583.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 1.73 percent.