NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. stocks are opening modestly higher as the market recovers from a loss the day before.
Several companies were moving on earnings news early Tuesday.
Hertz jumped 10 percent after reporting earnings that were better than analysts were expecting. AutoZone rose 2 percent after its own results beat forecasts.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 71 points, or 0.4 percent, to 16,589.
Most Read Stories
- Russian hackers tried to access Washington’s voting systems, officials say
- California brain surgeon faces more child sex abuse charges
- Seattle’s real Spider Man sets us straight: They’re not out to get you VIEW
- Boeing seeks quick legal fix to stop Bombardier
- We just experienced warmest and driest summer ever recorded in Seattle
The Standard & Poor’s 500 index gained 10 points, or 0.5 percent, to 1,942. The Nasdaq composite climbed 25 points, or 0.6 percent, to 4,583.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 1.73 percent.