NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. stocks are opening modestly higher as the market recovers from a loss the day before.
Several companies were moving on earnings news early Tuesday.
Hertz jumped 10 percent after reporting earnings that were better than analysts were expecting. AutoZone rose 2 percent after its own results beat forecasts.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 71 points, or 0.4 percent, to 16,589.
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Reed brother led detectives to bodies believed to be Arlington couple
- Your vote counts so little in today’s primary election, John Oliver joked about it on ‘Last Week Tonight’
- Ivar’s looks to sell, lease back two venerable restaurant sites
- Seattle fifth-graders will get their camp trip, but teachers refuse to go
Most Read Stories
The Standard & Poor’s 500 index gained 10 points, or 0.5 percent, to 1,942. The Nasdaq composite climbed 25 points, or 0.6 percent, to 4,583.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 1.73 percent.