Shares of newly formed Cardiac Science Corp. rose 8.8 percent yesterday in their first day of Nasdaq trading.

Share story

Pacific Northwest

Shares of newly formed Cardiac Science Corp. rose 8.8 percent yesterday in their first day of Nasdaq trading.

The stock climbed 95 cents to $11.75.

Shareholders of Bothell-based Quinton Cardiology and Irvine, Calif.-based Cardiac Science Inc. approved the merger of the two medical-technology companies Wednesday. The combined company, which trades under the new symbol CSCX, is headquartered in Bothell.

Most Read Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.

Quinton shareholders now own about 48.7 percent of the combined company, while Cardiac Science shareholders own the remaining 51.3 percent.

Together, the two companies had sales of $73.9 million in the first half of 2005.

Information technology

High-tech workers not so optimistic

Nearly four years into the U.S. economic recovery, information-technology workers are less optimistic about the industry than they were two years ago.

A little more than half of high-tech workers polled in a national online survey predict an increase in demand for skilled IT workers in the future, a drop from 2003 when two-thirds expected demand to rise.

“Clearly the pixie dust for tech workers has worn off,” said Marcus Courtney of the Washington Alliance of Technology Workers, which commissioned the survey.

It also found that while salaries rose for nearly half the 369 respondents, 61 percent are paying a larger portion for health premiums.

Microvision

Systems developer finishes stock deal

Bothell-based Microvision, a developer of display and imaging systems, said it has completed a $1.5 million private placement of common stock and warrants to purchase common stock. The warrants are exercisable for five years at an exercise price of $6.50 per share.

Sprint Nextel

Stores redesigned; ad campaign ready

Sprint Nextel took the initial steps to becoming one company yesterday after the completion of the merger of Sprint and Nextel Communications last month.

The Reston, Va., company said it redesigned 1,600 retail stores under the Sprint brand with the black and yellow coloring of Nextel.

It is starting a newspaper and TV advertising campaign today. Sprint Nextel, which owns about a third of the Kirkland company, said the 100 stores owned by Nextel Partners, which offers Nextel-branded service in rural areas, would not be included in the transformation.

Compiled from Seattle Times business staff