As Wall Street quarters go, the first one in 2014 ended about where it started.
The Dow Jones industrial average closed the first three months of the year down 119 points, or 0.7 percent, at 16,457.66. The Standard & Poor’s 500 index was up 23.98 points, or 1.3 percent, at 1,872.34.
Five of the 260 participants in our online game “Call the Market” correctly guessed where both indexes would end the quarter. No player correctly selected the answer to the tiebreaker question — which Northwest company would perform the best during the quarter on a percentage basis. (The answer was IsoRay, which gained 340 percent year-to-date.)
Robert Sowatsky, of Port Ludlow, Jefferson County, playing as bigdaddy1, was picked from the five at random by the computer as the first-place winner. He won a $50 Macy’s gift card. The second-place winner, James Ehlers, of Bothell, playing as wildaguess, won a $25 Macy’s gift card.
- Black Lives Matter protesters march, have sit-ins in Seattle
- Game thread: Huskies dominate Cougars in Apple Cup
- Swarming defense, Myles Gaskin helps UW rout WSU in Apple Cup
- With Luke Falk out, Peyton Bender will start at quarterback for WSU Cougars vs UW Huskies in Apple Cup
- Teardown town: 1,500 small houses replaced by giants since 2012
Most Read Stories
Between now and April 17, you can enter “Call the Market” with your predictions on where the S&P 500, the Dow and a Northwest company will end the second quarter.
Go to seati.ms/callthemarket to compete with friends and family for quarterly prizes and a grand prize at the end of the year.