As Wall Street quarters go, the first one in 2014 ended about where it started.
The Dow Jones industrial average closed the first three months of the year down 119 points, or 0.7 percent, at 16,457.66. The Standard & Poor’s 500 index was up 23.98 points, or 1.3 percent, at 1,872.34.
Five of the 260 participants in our online game “Call the Market” correctly guessed where both indexes would end the quarter. No player correctly selected the answer to the tiebreaker question — which Northwest company would perform the best during the quarter on a percentage basis. (The answer was IsoRay, which gained 340 percent year-to-date.)
Robert Sowatsky, of Port Ludlow, Jefferson County, playing as bigdaddy1, was picked from the five at random by the computer as the first-place winner. He won a $50 Macy’s gift card. The second-place winner, James Ehlers, of Bothell, playing as wildaguess, won a $25 Macy’s gift card.
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Man drowns in Lake Washington after hopping off boat
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- Seahawks' decision shows faith in Brandon Mebane, and the team's Superstar Strategy
- Seahawks training camp impressions, Day Four --- Pass rush speed, Mohammed Seisay, the center spot, and more
Most Read Stories
Between now and April 17, you can enter “Call the Market” with your predictions on where the S&P 500, the Dow and a Northwest company will end the second quarter.
Go to seati.ms/callthemarket to compete with friends and family for quarterly prizes and a grand prize at the end of the year.