Don’t look now but the stock market has been gaining strength for six consecutive quarters.
Our Call the Market players were bullish for the second quarter, which ended Monday.
Some 83 percent of our players, 598 people, thought the Dow Jones index of industrial stocks would end the quarter somewhere between 16,500 and 16,000. The Dow beat that to close at 16,826.20, up 368.94 points, or 2.2 percent since the end of March. Nine players were right.
The S&P 500 closed at 1,960.23 on Monday, up 87.87 points, or 4.6 percent since the end of March. Eight players guessed correctly.
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
As for local stocks, IsoRay, a small biotech, topped Northwest stock — up 522 percent — since the first of the year. Eighty-two percent of our players hit the target.
First-place winner Bill Vale, of Suquamish, playing as wildaguess, won a $50 Macy’s gift card. Second-place winner Dan Maehren, of Kirkland, playing as holdsnp500, won a $25 Macy’s gift card.
The Call the Market game for the third quarter is open. You have until July 15 to enter at http://seati.ms/callthemarket.