Don’t look now but the stock market has been gaining strength for six consecutive quarters.
Our Call the Market players were bullish for the second quarter, which ended Monday.
Some 83 percent of our players, 598 people, thought the Dow Jones index of industrial stocks would end the quarter somewhere between 16,500 and 16,000. The Dow beat that to close at 16,826.20, up 368.94 points, or 2.2 percent since the end of March. Nine players were right.
The S&P 500 closed at 1,960.23 on Monday, up 87.87 points, or 4.6 percent since the end of March. Eight players guessed correctly.
- Husky guide on UW cheerleading tryouts goes global
- CEO makes fiery emails about Muslims part of the workday
- Look like this, not that: UW pulls cheerleader-tryout advice after angry backlash
- Oh smack: Garbage truck hits Alaskan Way Viaduct
- Seahawks’ selection of Germain Ifedi in NFL draft has makings of a great fit
Most Read Stories
As for local stocks, IsoRay, a small biotech, topped Northwest stock — up 522 percent — since the first of the year. Eighty-two percent of our players hit the target.
First-place winner Bill Vale, of Suquamish, playing as wildaguess, won a $50 Macy’s gift card. Second-place winner Dan Maehren, of Kirkland, playing as holdsnp500, won a $25 Macy’s gift card.
The Call the Market game for the third quarter is open. You have until July 15 to enter at http://seati.ms/callthemarket.