13 Coins, the Seattle restaurant known since the ’60s for its discreet high-backed booths, classic menu and 24-hour service, will open its first new location in about four decades at the Stadium Place development in Sodo in 2016.
Seattle-based American Life is developing Stadium Place, a 1.5 million square-foot project just north of Century Link Field and plans to break ground in mid-2014, officials said.
“It doesn’t get more iconic in Seattle than 13 Coins, and we’re thrilled to unveil this new restaurant as the first in our Stadium Place project,” American Life President Greg Steinhauer said in a statement.
The original 13 Coins location at 125 Boren Ave. N. opened in 1967. A second was established near SeaTac International Airport in 1976, said Al Moscatel, director of operations for the restaurant.
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
- Grading the game: Seattle Seahawks’ offense earns perfect mark against Pittsburgh Steelers
Most Read Stories
The new 9,500-square-foot restaurant will have two levels and employ about 75 people, said Moscatel.
It’ll feature many of the same touches that made 13 Coins famous, such as an exhibition-style kitchen and swiveling captain’s chairs, but also offer updates aimed at younger customers — including gluten-free dishes.
“We’re shining the coin,” Moscatel said in an interview.
The restaurant will have an “express” operation on the block facing the stadium where sports fans can quickly order its popular cheeseburger and chicken Parmesan sandwich (“The Believer”), he said. “Game days will be great for it.”
The Stadium Place project, at 255 S. King St., consists of a 23-story Hilton Embassy Suites Hotel and a 10-story, 188,000-square-foot office building on top of a five-story aboveground parking garage. The project includes 30,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space.
Sanjay Bhatt: 206-464-3103 or firstname.lastname@example.org On Twitter @sbhatt