When the United States pulled out of Vietnam on April 30, 1975, many of our South Vietnamese allies fled. Gov. Dan Evans welcomed the refugees to Washington state — and gained a namesake and a lifelong relationship with one family.
- ‘Hero’ teacher tackles shooter at North Thurston High School
- Ray Bartoszek partners with Bill Russell, Fred Brown to build arena in Tukwila
- Costco embraces Greek extra virgin olive oil amid Italian crop’s woes
- County exec wants $65M levy for youth, family, health services
- Cause of fire at Bellevue car dealership still unknown
- Man arrested for carrying golf club sues city, Seattle police
- ‘SPD is back’ — but after downtown sweep, so are drug dealers | Danny Westneat
Shelter, fuel, food, medicine, power, news, workers — Nepal's earthquake-hit capital was short on everything Monday.
The neighborhoods with the most eastward commuters are among the city’s densest.
- Threats, protests, mourning in Baltimore on day of Freddie Gray’s funeral
- Study blames global warming for 75 percent of very hot days
- Teen who fought cancer treatment heading home from hospital
- Ohio students’ device to detect marijuana use by motorists
- Loretta Lynch sworn in as new US attorney general
- U.S. vets come to Vietnam to confront past, and some decide to stay
Photo & Video
- The unwavering belief in the American dream | Guest columnist
- Online, no one knows you’re a fraud | Froma Harrop / Syndicated columnist
- After the fall of Saigon: When Washington did the right thing for refugees | Seeking refuge: 40 years after the fall of Saigon
- Refugees face different challenges today during resettlement | Seeking refuge: 40 years after the fall of Saigon
Ray Bartoszek, the Connecticut businessman who tried to bring the NHL to Seattle, confirmed Monday that he’s interested in building a multi-purpose arena in Tukwila, but said it’s too early to talk about the NHL or NBA.
Seattle Times Marketplace
If you’re not getting called for interviews, check for ‘fit’
D.R. Horton to buy Pacific Ridge Homes in Seattle-area expansion