North Bend’s Mike Banner, at 67, is preparing for his 51st annual ascent of Mount Rainier.
To avert illnesses, a new plan uses varying temperatures to assist Washington state growers of oysters destined to be eaten raw.
Underground house-music clubs aren’t just party palaces; they can serve as “sacred spaces” for people who don’t fit in or feel welcome at other venues.
Report from Sasquatch! 2015: Sleater-Kinney, the Young Evils, Father John Misty and the surprising breakout band, Twenty One Pilots.
- Flooding in Texas, Oklahoma prompts rescues, evacuations
- Gays wake up to changed Ireland, let ‘new normal’ sink in
- Women’s walk across Koreas’ DMZ denied; they cross by bus
- Weather damage closes Yellowstone and Grand Teton trails
- NSA winds down once-secret phone-records collection program
- Nigerian airlines cancel flights amid fuel crisis
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- 2 young boys suffer 'significant' injuries in explosion in Enumclaw
- FBI, police investigating Seattle officer in violent 2010 incident
- B-boys to Balkan, the Northwest Folklife Festival is under way
- Defenses will have tough choices to make vs. Seahawks, tight end Jimmy Graham
Most Read Stories
Photo & Video
- In mountain climbing, as in life, preparation trumps optimism | Guest columnist
- Veteran’s PTSD led to marijuana, arrest and a lucky break | Leonard Pitts Jr. / Syndicated columnist
- Our unwillingness to fix infrastructure will cost us dearly | Ann McFeatters / Syndicated columnist
- Genetic spirituality vs. environmental religious affiliation | David Brooks / Syndicated columnist